Trixie&Radar

General Camper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, camoing, biking and a few beers
  • Trailer: 08 Starcraft 1701

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:42 AM

Hello, we went on our first camping trip with the new camper this weekend. Our Starcraft was a Trimline bag awning. The awning has poles that go from the camper top and then two more poles that go to the ground. It is not the strongest of awnings. Actcually, it is a pieace of junk. The size is nice for the camper but the awning isn't very stable. The poles are aluminum material, but it is a softer aluminum. It's almost like the poles will not support the weight of the awning itself.

Has anyone any problems with this awning?
What suggestions do you have to fix a weak awning?

I love it use it but it scares me to have it out. :flaming:
Trixie & Radar
2008 Starcraft 1701
It may be small, but it's all we need
Northwest Indiana Firefighter

#2 hozz2

hozz2

Advanced Camper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,584 posts
  • Interests:Camping (obviously), Bowling, Geo-caching, Photography & Scrapbooking
  • Trailer: 2013 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
  • GLPUC Member: Indiana

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:48 AM

Hello, we went on our first camping trip with the new camper this weekend. Our Starcraft was a Trimline bag awning. The awning has poles that go from the camper top and then two more poles that go to the ground. It is not the strongest of awnings. Actcually, it is a pieace of junk. The size is nice for the camper but the awning isn't very stable. The poles are aluminum material, but it is a softer aluminum. It's almost like the poles will not support the weight of the awning itself.

Has anyone any problems with this awning?
What suggestions do you have to fix a weak awning?

I love it use it but it scares me to have it out. :flaming:

It sounds like the same awning we had on our pop-up. We found that using a tie-down system improves the stability of the awning. This is the one we used: Tie Down We ran the strap over the poles that attach to the camper roof and under the awning material itself. Worked great.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we'd planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us."
Darrell '66 (Captain and Do-er of the Dirty work)
Chris '67 (Do-er of everything else & Forum chatterbox!)

Riley '09

2013 Bullet 248RKS  2009 Toyota Tundra
2 nights in 2014, with 32 more planned.

#3 cruising usa

cruising usa

General Camper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Trailer: 2004 Starcraft 2409

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:30 PM

Your awning is not much different from all the others on the market. I made awning bases similar to those shown at this link /www.popupcamping.info/AwningBase.htm I used 6" plastic pot with 3/4" PVC in the center. I use a hose clamp the stop the down movement and tie a line the the end ridge bar to the flower pot. I it gets winds over 20 mph I lower the awning.
Happy Camping
me'49 dw'48 and
04 Ranger Towing
Cruising the 04 Starcraft 2409

#4 A -n- K

A -n- K

General Camper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Trailer: 2008 Jayco Jay Feather Sport 218
  • GLPUC Member: Illinois

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:07 PM

We did the standard Jayco bag awning for a while, then added tie down's to keep it in place. Ultimately my DW told me she was tired of the dogs getting tangled in the poles, which I read as full authorization to install the Carefree Campout :blackeye: .

Well worth the effort....

Andy
Andy & Kathi
DD ('91), DD ('94), Woof ('03), Woof Woof ('07)
2003 Ford Explorer
2008 Jayco Jay Feather Sport 218
Our Picture's

#5 TracyTribe

TracyTribe

General Camper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Camping, of course!
  • Trailer: 2007 Starcraft 18RB
  • GLPUC Member: Ohio

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:21 PM

I agree that you definitely need some sort of tie-downs to keep the awning in place. During our first outing last year, a big gust of wind took our trimline awning, threw it over the camper and onto the roof. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed that one of the poles left a huge gash in our roof (well, maybe not huge, but any hole in the roof is a HUGE problem)! Needless to say, we had to replace the roof. We now use tie-downs at all times and roll it up if the weather turns threatening. I found an alternative to the traditional tie-downs either on this site or Pop Up Explorer where someone simply used spiral stakes and bungie cords to keep each pole securely on the ground--we may give that a try this year to eliminate the walking obstructions created by traditional tie-downs (the last thing I need is something else to trip over at night)! Also, I just noticed in the Pop Up Times that Dometic makes a cabana that folds up into a bag similar to a trimline, but the Cabana has screen sides that can be removed and uses a flexible tent pole to give it a curved appearance that may be less susecptible to being picked up by the wind. :rolleyes: It looks pretty stable since you can secure the sides to the ground and it gives you more "living area", especially when it rains, but it comes at a pretty steep price. From what I could find, it costs around $700!!! I can find much better uses for that kind of money, but perhaps the price will come down once it's been out for awhile. I hope that helps. :campfire:

Brian ('76), Karen ('72), DD#1 ('06) and DD#2 ('08)

2014 Dodge Durango Rallye and 2007 Starcraft 18RB
2004 Starcraft Centennial 3602
View our Pictures

#6 angelsmom10

angelsmom10

General Camper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Trailer: 2004 Starcraft 3606 Centennial
  • GLPUC Member: Ohio

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:11 PM

We have a trim line awning on our 2004 (3606 Starcraft).... and have had no issues till just recently... the twist lock (not sure what to call it, that when you extend the poles and twist to tighten them)... doesn't want to always stay in place.... so for the past few trips.... we just add electrical tape to be sure that it holds in place..

We have a very heavy AAR also and has never been an issue for the awning...

So for 6 years (we received in April '03 our 3606)... not a big problem... just be sure to stake down the poles to the ground

Edited by angelsmom10, 06 May 2009 - 01:12 PM.

Tom & Nancy
2000 Dodge Dakota
2004 Starcraft 3606 Centennial